Sunday, December 26, 2004

Helpful Holiday Hints

Alright so who hasn't read an article with this title or something similar right? Well I just wanted to share a few cool things that I know about spyware. You know that new PC that you got for Christmas? Well its only a day or so afterwords but I bet that if it didnt have spyware on it when you pulled it out of the box and unless you are very careful like me you've already go some spyware! So heres a couple of great ways to take care of that. First, you'll need a spyware removal tool (SpySweeper or another). Run it through its paces and you should eliminate most all of you problems with that. Now repeat after me, "There is no such thing as a free lunch." My point in saying this well worn phrase is that many software programs are 'free' they are however not without a price tag. Working in retail for many years now I have seen more computers destroyed by spyware than by anything else (kids, lightning strikes, bullet holes, you name it). Be very careful with free software. All those free screen savers come to you at the price of your freedom. If you are content to share system recources with someone else and tell them where you are going and what you are doing so they can sell you stuff than far be it from me to stop you. But if you would rather not share your personal information and habits then I suggest being more vigilant about where you go and what you download. Being careful only helps if you keep your system protected. A decent firewall and antivirus are essential. If you want to keep driving down the internet super highway be sure to change your oil and keep your computer tuned. Windows updates and anti-virus updates are all automatic anymore. If you do not trust automatic updates, set a specific day aside to download them at least once a week. If you keep an anti-spyware program, anti-virus program, and firewall on your computer you will have the best roadside protection for the internet superhighway that money can buy (besides triple A). Don't be click happy! Use care with what you download.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

PS I love email! Send me some!

No comments: